Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hurricane

So I've been MIA for a little while. I think that I was taking unspoken direction from other bloggers, trying not to say anything about what happened on the gulf coast because there's so much to say.

I went around this week saying two things; 1st that Mayor Nagin was not going to win the Rudy award for leadership - I was wrong. He deserves a great deal of respect for what he is doing and my heart goes out to him. 2nd that I sympathized with the people of New Orleans, but not that much because they knew what could happen and they did nothing to stop it. I was wrong. They did try to stop it and their funding got cut in order to pay for the ongoing war in Iraq.

What I am saying now is this. FEMA Director Michael Brown should be fired. He should be fired and it should be tonight, right now, this very minute. Under his direction things are going to hell. 1st Army Lt. General Honore (a John Wayne dude) should be given every medal under the sun. He should be given a raise, he should be honored as a true hero. Under his direction things are coming together and he's working damn hard to help people. FEMA itself should be rebuilt from the ground up after this is over. Their structure is too organized for its own good. Sending supplies to Louisiana en masse, then redistributing it to parishes then to towns then to FEMA centers takes too long, way too long. Send it straight to where it's needed. The whole of Louisiana doesn't need help, only certain areas. Northern Command, just 3 years old, is a blessing. This command structure, set up after 9-11, had resources prepositioned for after the hurricane. They did what FEMA should have done and are still DOING what FEMA should be.

On Thursday I went into the office and a woman walked in. She was obviously well off (financialy speaking), and she started going off about everything that wasn't going right. I wanted to tell her; "do something, do anything. Donate money, time, energy. Do anything except for what you're doing right now." Maybe she has, I don't know, I didn't stick around to listen to her. I went and e-mailed the Alexandria Red Cross to see if there was any way for me to get down to the coast to help. After I e-mailed them I started to think about how impossible this might be. In a completely selfish way, I still don't have a job, I have to pay rent and bills and I have no health insurance. If I were to get sick with whatever plague-ish diseases are going around down there I would be bankrupt. I woke up this morning looking around my room, wondering what I should pack. What would I need to bring with me. By the time I had gotten back into the office I had changed my mind once again. Now watching TV at 1:00am I'm thinking about what I should pack again.

Red Cross Donation Page (Please donate if you haven't already. It's incredibly important.)
If you can't donate, please volunteer: Find your local chapter here

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:39 AM, September 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home