Saturday, November 19, 2005

Politics galore

I haven't posted about politics in a long time so I thought it was about time. There's been a lot goin on lately and I think it's important to point out one thing. I was right. That's right I was right, have been right and will continue to be right... I think.

First lets recap on one thing. Social Security reform is dead in the water, it's not even DOA because it never arrived. I called that one a long time ago.

Now let's move on. The president said after he was re-elected that he had political capital and he planned on using it. Good for him. However, it turns out he didn't have political capital or if he did he blew it at the comic book shop. Social Security reform is dead, Scooter libby's been indicted, Karl Rove has been in hot water, Harriet meirs... well I don't need to add verbage to that. All this AND the one thing that I have been 100% right about. No weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq. A couple of years ago, during holiday festivities I stood in my aunt and uncle's kitchen and said; 'there are no WMD's in Iraq, and I think if you give the UN time you'll see that I'm right.' Well, here we are a couple of years later and things have gone pretty badly. Republicans are now accusing dem's of using the war for political gain. As joel said last night anytime Republicans say that, they themselves are using the war for political gain. D.C. works on political gain, if you're not gaining you're losing. Political gain/ capital allows you to do the things you want done. For instance, right now Dem's are saying that the war is going poorly and they want out. They get let's say a 20% increase in their political capital therefore they can turn around and spend that 20% increase on getting out of Iraq. Republicans on the other hand are keeping Iraq in the news with stupid floor resolutions and crying to the press so they get a 25% decrease in their political gain. That means it will be harder for them to turn around and spend capital on tax cuts, roadways projects in alaska, drilling in alaska, ethics scandals, scooter libby, staying the course in iraq, etc. etc.

On another note. After this week and the way the Dem's have pushed the republicans against the wall, bush will be hard pressed to make a 'stay the course' speech. He'll be hard pressed to say anything without outlining clear goals. Something he should have done, oh I don't know, 3 years ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/18/congress.iraq.ap/index.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home