Sunday, January 29, 2006

I have a new hero...

and he is a conservative. My roommate sent me an excellent article when I woke up this "morning". It was a newsweek story about the infighting that took place leading up to the decision to wiretap U.S. citizens. The antagonist of the story is Vice President Cheney's new chief of staff David Addington (formerly the counsel). Addington worked tirelessly to create an imperial presidency based on the current war on terror. Since a story always needs a protaganist for its antagonist, we have former Assistant Attorney General Jack Goldsmith. Emphasis on the former part. Mr. Goldsmith along with a few other devoted justice department, CIA and state department lawyers, fought to overturn several internal rulings on hot button issues and also fought against the administrations efforts to wiretap U.S. citizens.

A friend of mine who is currently at law school had an away message up today saying; "Jack Goldsmith is my hero". I thought she was simply referring to the article I was about to send her, but that wasn't the case. It turns out that Jack Goldsmith was her civil procedures professor. I told her to give him a hug. I think it translates better if he was to get a hug from her then to run into me on the street and be confronted by a bear hug.

so here is the newsweek article. It is a bit long but well worth the read.
Palace Revolt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home