Saturday, February 04, 2006

Euology for HAL 9000

Recently my old computer was put to rest. I had had it through college and we spent a lot of good times together. When I first got it I named it HAL 9000 because it was so great. It could be networked, it had speakers, I could play CD's on it and after a couple of upgrades (that I did myself) it could also burn CD's. In recent years it could no longer burn CD's, the original CD-rom drive wouldn't open, the floppy disk no longer worked and the list goes on. I wrote my junior thesis, my senior thesis and countless papers on that machine. The tower was plastered with bumperstickers, and regular stickers, that I had collected over the years. Some of the stickers were political (a Re-Elect Hillary bumper sticker I recieved in the mail) to a sticker for a local radio station (indie), WBER 90.5. HAL traveled with me from New York to Ohio, Ohio to New York and New York to D.C.

Then two weeks ago I bought a new laptop. HAL just wasn't cutting it anymore. Once my new laptop arrived (Spanky- for spankin new) I packaged up HAL in garbage bags and put him in the storage closet.

The upside to this is that I can now work on a computer for longer than 15 minutes at a time and I do... and how.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home