Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Up to no good (vol. 1 issue. 5)

The big news today (even though this has been going on for a while) is the transferring of several ports over to a Dubai (UAE) based company. Actually it's a state run company. Back in my nerd days I was the VP of the Model United Nations in college. On one trip to NYC we met with the UAE mission. This was just 8 months after 9/11 and let me say, the UAE mission officers were great. They were all very nice very open and very gracious. The information that I walked away with was that this country and specifically the men and women I met there, is that they loved our country.

My feeling on what is going on with all this is quite cynical. My cynical feeling comes more from the post-abramoff era than the post-9/11 era. Lobbyists, communications firms and government relations firms (really all the same thing) are paid millions each year to make other countries look good. I just can't shake the feeling that Dem's and Repub's are pushing business their way. It feels like a knee-jerk reaction that the second this company is transferred to a middle eastern country we have a problem with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home