Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Google-ing

Going back to something I've talked about before, I'd like to talk about google-ing for a moment. I am constantly amazed that some people ever find anything by way of google. Seriously people, you're not supposed to type in the question you want answered. Let me give you an example.

Recently I was looking for an owners manual for a 2005 Ford Taurus SE. Did I type in; "How or where, could I find a 2005 Ford Taurus SE owners manual aaaaand if I find it will I have to pay for it?" Or did I type in the keywords I wanted the search engine to find in any document I wanted it to return? See, that's the first trick. You type in the answer to the question (sort of) that you're hoping google will answer. You're looking for keywords, so all you have to do is search for those keywords. Lets say you're looking for a website about hotdogs. Would you type in; "I need to know everything google has on HOTDOGS, now!" or would you just type in "hotdogs"?

I bring this up because about once a week I notice one of these questions on my sitetracker. Today it was; "when there going to be a march for imigration [sic] in seattle..." and at the end, I kid you not; "?". That's right, they literally asked google a question.

If I'm really looking for something I will, as Joel says; "you gotta restructure your queries" that is to say, you have to rearrange the words you're using in your search. So if you're really looking for the best type of mustard to put on hotdogs, why not type in "mustard hotdogs" instead of "hotdogs mustard".

That's the end of my google rant. Happy google-ing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home